Thursday, October 8, 2020

DDS Library News October 8th

 This newsletter is already posted in the DDS weekly bulletin for this week but I wanted to include it here to gain the most audience!


DDS Library News Oct. 8th

This week I finalized my mill levy book order for Library Services. With specific needs in mind, I included a few different kinds of items that I thought we could use. Here is a partial list.

 I ordered the following book (for staff use) on Dyslexia. Dyslexia is my superpower: (most of the time)

About the book:

Based on over 100 in-depth interviews with school children and young adults living with dyslexia, this collection depicts the significance of confidence and self-esteem in propelling children with dyslexia to achieve personal success and live better lives. Personal strategies are offered for children alongside a guide for educational professionals.

 

Also (for students … I ordered 3 of these). A workbook for dyslexics: a complete reading program for struggling readers and those with dyslexia

About the workbooks:

A Workbook for Dyslexics is a complete reading program containing 55 lessons with exercises and word lists, designed to gradually teach the student to decode words using intensive phonics, rules and memory cues. The lessons go beyond what is taught in most schools, and is exactly what a struggling student needs to become a proficient reader. The lessons gradually build up to the next topic, offering repetition for reinforcement. The lessons address: phoneme awareness, phonics, spelling rules, rule breakers, word decoding tips, letter reversals, homophones & common mistakes.

 

I also ordered books on coding. Cool, nerdy excellent and fun!

A beginner's projects in coding: have fun using Scratch 3.0 and Python. Spiral-Bound — Bloomsbury Children's Books, 2020 (Quantity 1)
A beginner's guide to coding: have fun using Scratch and Python. Spiral-Bound — Bloomsbury, 2017 (Quantity 1)
The Coding Workbook by Parola, Samantha Paperback — No Starch Press, 2020 (Quantity 4)

 

 I ordered two DVDs. Normally I wouldn’t spend our precious and tight library budget on videos, but these are an exception and hard to find.

Dianne Reeves: The Early Years (Ad Lib): Publication Date: September 9, 2008



 

 

 

 

 

 

And: Rising from ashes: an inspiring true story: Publication: November 12, 2013



 

 

 

 

About: Chronicles the efforts to develop an Olympic cycling team in Rwanda and the hope that these riders brought to their fellow citizens.

 

 Finally, I ordered the picture book Don't touch my hair!

I feel this timely and thoughtful reminder would be best displayed in the main office which is where it will go when it arrives!



 

 

 

 

 

 

So – the mill levy list has been submitted but there is always the possibility that some of the titles I have selected will not be available. We will know more when the order starts to arrive in late November, early December. I will keep you posted!

Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment