Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Denver Public Library Databases

 

Denver Public Library Databases

https://www.denverlibrary.org/databases-a-z

DPL has a vast menu of databases that are available for free by using your library card. Most of these are available online from home – a few are specific to in-library use.

These databases are expensive and it’s wonderful that DPL has subscribed to them! Every time you use these with your card it helps DPL justify this expense in their annual budget. Just one more reason to use this fabulous search approach!


 

Here is an example of one of these databases and how to search it!

 CQ Researcher

In-depth analysis of topics in the news ranging from social and teen issues to environment, health, education, science and technology. Covers all sides of the issues. Great for school assignments. Video Tutorial

Available with library card

When you click on CQ Researcher you immediately gain access by using your DPL account. The database page will come up.

You can “browse” topics or reports. If you click on How to Use CQ you will see six ‘tools’ … I’m going to choose “How To Cite” because I’m writing a research paper (not!). What follows is the proper way to cite any of their report pages in the most accepted styles of APA, Bluebook, Chicago and MLA.

Now I’m going to Advanced Search for a specific thing I’m searching. I’m going to do a Keyword search on Gerrymandering. I get 21 results, most recent first. 

Now I can search CQ Researcher and I get 34 results. I choose the first one and click on it. The article comes up. By clicking on the 3 dots I can choose to cite now, view as PDF, save to email or just save. If I select Cite Now I have options as to style, then I can export to whatever bibliographic program I’m using (like RefWorks).

This is just a small example of the search options using these databases from Denver Public Library.

Navigating around these databases would be a valuable skill to encourage with students transitioning to high school!

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment